Monday, September 20, 2010

Crickets


No--not the sporting event beloved by the British Empire. I'm talking the disgusting insect that infests the desert (as seen above). We have 3 geckos and a turtle (along with the 6 parakeets and the dog) as pets, and crickets are a staple of their diet. We had run out earlier in the week, so on Friday, I had to pick some up.

I was running late so I didn't pick them up on the way home from work, but after a ward activity (which ended up involving a Jello food fight, but we didn't start it. REALLY.), we had just enough time before the pet store closed to pick some up. Because I also had to pick up a birthday present for the following day with Madi, I sent Reagan and Tre' in with instructions to pick up 15 minnows (for the turtle) and 20 crickets (primarily for the lizards).

Imagine my surprise when I got a call from Reagan, just AFTER closing time, asking where I was because she had 200 crickets. 200 crickets? Did I hear wrong? Nope....she got it wrong by a factor of 10. 200 crickets. AAARGH! Oh well, the lizards wouldn't be hungry for a while, right?

WRONG--she got baby crickets instead of the regular large ones we go for, so the actual food content was probably about the same. Fine. We dumped them all in the cage. About 15 minutes later Madi was shrieking as the baby crickets came pouring out of the mesh top of the cage (about 1/8" square mesh holes). Yes, I now have 190 crickets jumping around my house (the lizards ate 10 to begin with). I have just enough time to call the bug guy......

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I had lizards as a kid and the crickets got out... reproduced and my mom just about killed me the next spring with all those baby crickets... good luck getting rid of them! :S

TnD said...

I'm shocked that you even need to buy crickets. They wander my house freely. Maybe I just need to get some lizards and let them take care of them.

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

HAHAHAHAHA!

That is why we have a no pet policy at this house. Boys or pets, but not both.

Good luck with that!